Meal Prep- Lemony Orzo Salad with Chicken
This salad reminds me of home! The flavor sends me right back warm summer evenings around a table on a patio. I can hear the crickets chirping and smell the citronella candle.
My mom says my version completely wrong and nothing like what we used to make when I was a kid.
Like I said, it reminds me of home.
I don’t know where you live, but here in Charlotte, North Carolina, some variation of pasta salad is a summer staple! Served cold and crisp, it’s completely refreshing on these oppressively hot and humid days.
This meal-prep version makes 4 servings that come in at just $2.82 and 507kcal each. Enjoy!...but make sure your momma knows hers is always better 😉
Lemony Orzo Salad with Chicken
Makes 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
20 oz. of chicken breast
224g (dry) orzo pasta
1 medium red onion
1 large cucumber
1 10.5oz container NatureSweet Chreubs Tomatoes
4 tablespoons Olive Oil (1tbsp per serving)
Splash of lemon juice
Twist’d Q Crazy Chick Lemon Garlic Seasoning
Crumbled Feta Cheese
1. In a saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to boil, add orzo, reduce temperature, cook according to label, strain pasta and set aside.
2. Cube chicken and cook in non-stick pan over medium heat on stovetop, let cool.
3. Finely mince red onion, dice cucumber, and halve cherub tomatoes.
4. Divide vegetables between 4 tupperware containers (~70g cucumber and tomato per container, add red onion as desired). Divide chicken and orzo between 4 containers.
5. Store containers in fridge until ready to eat, top with olive oil and seasoning when ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (for ¼ recipe including olive oil): 507kcal, 40g Protein, 47g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 4g Sugar, 17g Fat, 2g Saturated fat, & 81mg Cholesterol
20 oz. Chicken Breast (1.99/lb at Harris Teeter!) $2.49
½ box HT Brand Orzo $.25
1 10.5oz container cherub tomatoes $4.99
Red onion $1.47
4 tbsp EVOO $1.28
Total Price for Recipe: $11.27
Price per Serving: $2.82