Meal Prep- Almost-Beanless Slow Cooker Chili
If it were up to me, every chili would be chock full of beans. Unfortunately, the man I love doesn't feel the same way and I do aim to please (sometimes), so...here we are!
The "Almost Beanless Chili" is hearty and comforting without being heavy. I throw a few black beans in there (pride) and substitute the rest with chopped carrots and sweet potato. Heavy dose of seasoning, garlic, and onions..voila! Bon apetit, y'all.
This recipe does require some more prep and cook time (slow cooker), but it yields 6+ servings and your kitchen is guaranteed to smell amazing. Worth the effort!
Almost Beanless Chili Slow Cooker Meal Prep
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 4-5 hours
2lbs 96% lean beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large sweet potato
2 large carrots
2 green bell peppers
2 white or yellow onions
4 cloves garlic
3 stalks celery
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
3/4 c black beans (rinsed)
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Set out slow cooker and apply coat of nonstick spray
2. Brown ground beef in large stove top pan. Strain fat and add beef to crock pot.
3. Peel and cube sweet potato and carrots into small chunks as shown
4. Heat a large pan on stove-top, drizzle with olive oil, add sweet potato and carrot chunks. Saute until lightly browned at edges, stirring frequently. Add to crock pot.
5. Repeat saute process with bell peppers, then with onions, garlic, and celery. Add all to crock pot.
6. Empty tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (in their juices) into crock pot
7. Strain and rinse can of black beans. Measure out 3/4 c beans and add to slow cooker
8. Add all seasonings and cup of water to crock pot.
9. Set crock pot to "high" and cook for 4-5 hours. To check for "doneness," test tenderness of sweet potato chunks- I prefer them to be easily sliced through with the edge of a spoon.
Nutrition Facts (for 1/6th of recipe): 375 kcal, 37.2g Protein, 9.1g Fat, 32.3g Carbohydrates
Cost Breakdown (without seasoning):
2lbs 96% lean beef $14.20
1 tbsp olive oil $.32
1 large sweet potato $1.02
2 large carrots $.56
2 green bell peppers $1.29
2 white or yellow onions $2.00
4 cloves garlic $.25
3 stalks celery $1.00
1 15oz can of tomato sauce $1.25
1 can petite diced tomatoes $.39
3/4 c black beans (rinsed) $1.19
Total price for recipe: $23.47
Price per serving (6 servings): $3.91